Friday, April 15, 2011

Reflection: The Seven Last Words of Christ

Tomorrow I'm going to begin a series of reflections on the Seven Last Words of Christ.  The series will end on Good Friday.  Holy Saturday will feature a poem, and then Easter Sunday will have another reflection about a different word.

The text I'll be using is as follows:

"Father, forgive them, they know not what they do."
"Today, you will be with me in Paradise."
"Woman, behold your Son.  Behold your mother."
"My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"
"I thirst."
"It is finished."
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."

I'm not a Greek, Aramaic, or Hebrew scholar, so I'm not going to claim these (nor any other Scripture selections I cite in English in the course of these reflections) are the definitive translations of Biblical verses.  But I am going to be picky with my words, since I am a writer.

These words are powerful, and I hope that my reflections, uh, reflect at least a little of that power.  I figure any writer whose work reflects a little bit of divine light is making the world a better place, especially this time of the year.  Hopefully my mirror is sufficiently polished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful. Thanks!